Monday, May 09, 2005

Rifts, my true RPG beginning

Recently I have been scouring message boards on various RPG Company Sites. Malhavoc Press, Wizards of the Coast, and Palladium Books mainly. Now I know that I've said that I am a HUGE d20 fan, and I still am but I must say that there is a special spot in my gaming heart for Rifts by Palladium Books.

I was in 6th grade when I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons, but my family fell for that whole "DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS IS EVIL" propganda, shouted by uninformed relgious fanatics. My family wouldn't let me buy any of the books, by my sneaky nature I went to our local gaming store called the War Zone and started getting involved in Battletech. I had alot of fun with it, then one day I was looking through several books, when a friend of mine told me about Rifts.

I picked up the book and was instantly amazed by the artwork. Of the color pics in the Mainbook I first saw the SAMAS racing across the ground. I bought the book (with money from mowing lawns). My family loved the fact that I finally started reading books, and allowed me to buy any of the books as they came out. My second book was Rifts England. I played Rifts almost exclusively. Even when I finally bought AD&D 2nd Ed. I only played it as a small break from Rifts.

Once the d20 system appeared I put Rifts down and started playing D&D 3e. But this was only because I found d20 100x easier than palladium and it instantly releaved several things I didn't like about palladium. I even set out to convert Rifts to d20 because it was and still is my favorite setting. I never have been successful at it, mainly because I felt the setting was different if I did.

Now even to this day even as a d20 fanatic I long to say "you take # amount of Mega-Damage." After reading the Message boards at Palladium I found that it really was the fact that the rules were scattered and inconsistant, and that several people wrote at how this as 'good' and made good points about this.

So what does this rambling mean... probably that I may take a small d20 break and climb into my SAMAS power armor, because I feel like I want to roll some Mega-damage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home