Friday, February 06, 2009

I still find d20 games boring

I've been running into this problem for a little while. But I've been finding it quite boring to run a d20 game. By run I mean GM/DM the games. For one I've never been the GM to favor strick book keeping as long as things didn't get too out of hand, but to me d20 feels too much like homework, when I'm preparing for the game.

Even with Pathfinder being released, I still find the concept of d20 boring. The mechanics work great, but I feel they aren't as flexible as advertised. Also I think there is a little too much realism sacraficed for speed of play. Sure I understand that characters with high HP let's them keep fighting after being shot. Its a game, and not real life. But I like it when no matter what level you are at, having a gun pointed at you is a threat. Also I don't like that a person with a gun pointed at you could still loose initiative letting you charge 30ft and hit him before he can squeeze the trigger. But I digress, a savy DM would say, his gun automatically counts as a readied action. But then you have the huge amount of HP in which the players thinks. I can take the shot, and still get him. Too me that's too unrealistic.

I think I've just grown to enjoy the flexibility of skill based games of Level based games. But I have to say that with Unisystem I like the realism too. Sure it uses Life Points (LP) but so far, everytime a person gets shot in the game they think... "holy shit, that sucks" as they should their character was just shot.

Still people have their preferences and I do like playing in a d20 game. I even like playing in a DnD4e game. I know I feel dirty for saying it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home